Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fierce People


Tagline: Every family tree has it's nuts.

I assumed I would love this movie seeing as it was an ensemble indie dramedy and for the most part I did. It's a nice coming of age of sorts when Anton Yelchin moves with his drug dependent massage therapist mother, Diane Lane, to live on the estate of the 7th richest man in America, Donald Sutherland. He meets some great characters in high society and not so high society. The characters are very believable and not too cliche'. It was very believable and the performances were great throughout, especially with Lane, Sutherland, and Yelchin. It was definitely a nice quirky indie drama, but very professionally done. I liked Kristen Stewart in the movie, she did a good job bringing a little bit of depth to her character. The movie took a turn for the dark about 3/4 of the way in which I was not prepared for at all. It really felt organic because there wasn't any over the top foreshadowing like most movies have. I think that if this part of the movie was played up then it would come across as a dark drama but in reality its a light fun look into society for the most part of the movie. Chris Evans does well with his character although I don't think they gave him enough time at the end to really give it substance. It wasn't as dark as the Ice Storm and actually flowed more along the lines of Charlie Barlett or Garden State, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment