Friday, August 20, 2010

The Other Guys


So when I first heard of this movie I was like not another one! Especially, in light of Cop Out, I thought this would be a huge failure. But then after seeing the trailers, the movie looked ridiculously funny and also thanks to the endless studio promotion. So I went in hoping for the best but also thinking it could still be a huge failure, because most of the time funny cop movies just don’t work. After learning that this movie did what Dinner For Schmucks failed to do (that is knock Inception out of the top spot), I was even more pumped to see this movie.

The plot is very simple, Mark Wahlberg who is an ex field cop demoted to desk work is paired with the ultra conservative Will Ferrel who loves the safety of his desk job. The movie also has Eva Mendes, The Rock, and Samuel L to add to the comedy.

The story is actually semi-interesting and you’re kinda drawn to figuring out ‘who did it’ and it keeps you entertained through the end. The real comedy came from the Characters. They were well written and very believably funny. They didn’t feel gimmicky or annoying in the slightest. The dialogue was superb, and especially the banter between Mark and Will, although I suspect that was mostly ad-libbed.

And the editing was awesome and much more than I expected from a movie of this caliber. The bar scene with the freeze frame editing was just really awesome and I always love unique cinematography/editing no matter what genre of movie I’m watching. The soundtrack was great and everything was done really well in this movie.

The humor in this movie was based in a large part on the comedic timing and genius of Will and surprisingly Mark. They were a hilarious duo and an example of perfect casting. And it’s so funny to me that the idea of this duo came from the Academy Awards show when Will Ferell was doing a bit an involved Wahlberg in it. That’s true chemistry. The Rock and Samuel L were also a hilarious bit that worked well together and the mere presence of Eva Mendes as Will’s wife and the numerous jokes at her expense were priceless.

Overall, I thought this movie was really great and truly hilarious. It wasn’t over the top and didn’t try too hard, it found the right fit inbetween. I would recommend this to anyone ready to see a good comedy in the theater and wouldn’t let it pass by as a rental for those who missed it. “If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I’d swim out into the ocean and freakin’ eat you and then I’d bang your tuna girlfriend” – The Other Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment