Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lola Versus

So, I had been wanting to see this although a little worried because even though I love Greta Gerwig as an actress and writer, I really haven't enjoyed many of her movies. This movie was released last July and only made it to 52 theaters. It brought in only $252k.

The movie centers around Lola, played by Gerwig, who is suddenly dumped by her boyfriend three weeks before their wedding. She then is forced to re-examine her life and relationships.

The story had an actual plot and was quite humorous (some of Gerwig's other movies seemed to be lacking in the plot department). The characters were unique and genuine and the story was entertaining for the most part.

The editing helped with a lot of the humorous bits and was paced rather well throughout. The lighting, set design, and cinematography were very professional and executed well.

Greta Gerwig, did great again. I've always enjoyed her acting, even if the movies themselves that she was in were sub-par. Her character was relatable and very funny at the right times. Zoe Lister Jones, who plays her friend and co-wrote the screenplay, was downright hilarious in the movie. The men in the movie were pretty great as well.

It's been awhile since I viewed this film, but I do remember thinking I finally found a Greta Gerwig movie that I liked. It turned out to be a pretty funny dramedy about love and sex which I think most people could at least relate to. "I think, to love yourself, you first have to learn to love other people."

No comments:

Post a Comment