Thursday, April 14, 2011

Love & Distrust

 I thought I found a great movie at the local Redbox while I was in Connecticut for work. It was a movie about love and it's various forms starring Robert Downey Jr, Robert Pattinson, Sam Worthington, Amy Adams, and James Franco in several short films cut together. Unfortunately, I was not happy with this movie at all.

The film is comprised of 5 or 6 short little stories about 'love'.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find rhyme or reason for any of the stories or how they tied in together. The story 'Pennies' which starred Amy Adams was the only story which I was close to liking, as it turned out to have a cute understory at the end. The rest weren't very memorable or unique. There wasn't enough time spent on any one story to develop anything real.

The different tones, film, lighting, sound, and cameras used in the different shorts did not flow together at all. This was obviously done on an extremely low budget digital media platform. The low quality of the different shorts was almost distracting from the stories. I'm surprised these great actors signed on for this.

The acting was fine. As it should be with this cast. The problem was with the stories and the low quality cinematic elements. I didn't find the common 'love' element in the stories.

I wasn't very pleased with this movie. I was expecting quite a bit more from these actors. Although, it probably only took them one day of filming for this paycheck, which is understandable. I wouldn't recommend the movie unfortunately. I'm not against low budget pieces at all, but there's a lot you can still do even with low budget equipment. "Give us the money by nine pm or I'll cut your girl" -- Love & Distrust.

No comments:

Post a Comment