Thursday, November 25, 2010

All the Days Before Tomorrow

So I had put this movie onto my Netflix list the moment I read quirky independent romantic comedy - much like myself? I finally got around to watching it last night and I'm quite glad I did. The movie took home the top award for best feature film in both the Brooklyn and New Jersey film festivals in 2007. It also picked up a few others in other festivals. It is also the first feature from director/editor Francois Dompierre.

The movie follows two friends who should be lovers; Wes and Allison. The timing is never right for them. The plot is episodic and jumps back in forth through several different years of their friendship as well as Wes' subconscious.

The plot was written very well and quite easy to follow despite the jumping scenes. The dialogue was also very witty, which is always a plus. I almost feel smarter when I listen to witty dialogue. The characters were likable and very believable. The subconscious scenes with Wes' guardian angel were comically avant garde and I was actually able to pick up on the connection between those scenes and the main plot - or so I think. It was exactly what Netflix promised it would be; a quirky indie. The plot was basically about two characters who want, or should, be together but life keeps them apart. Probably because I'm a girl, I love these stories (think Pride & Prejudice, Definitely Maybe, 500 Days of Summer). This plot wasn't as quite overly sappy as some of those I just mentioned. It was a fun ride and the characters were interesting enough to keep my interest up the entire time.

What's the one thing that a good indie movie must have in it nowadays to make it good? A great indie soundtrack. Yes, the soundtrack was really great in this movie. I've downloaded a few of the songs myself already. It completed the tone of the movie in the right places, and especially the slow motion club scene, was a favorite of mine. The cinematography was beautiful. We open up to long running shots of a canyon setting as they are driving, and the warm orange colors were just extremely awesome. Set against the black titles, just made it better. The subconscious scenes filmed in black and white in a dessert-type setting, were also especially beautiful. The coloring and wardrobe/makeup in scenes were different enough to automatically distinguish which time period were were in as the plot jumped back in forth. There weren't any lags in the movie although the pace was laid back and easy.

The two lead actors were quite good in this movie. A little above what you normally get in a small indie such as this. They were very appealing to the eye and very genuine on screen. They matched each other step for step and had great chemistry. The cinematography would've made this a good movie if it had bad acting in it, but their performances made it very close to great. There's not any major emotional or dramatic scenes, just a genuine friendship between these two played out. The main point is that they were believable and you ended up liking these characters.

I was very pleased with this movie and happy that I finally sat down to watch it. I love quirk witty movies such as these and so it was right up my alley. I'd recommend to anyone else who enjoys those types of movies. I'd say it was similar in some aspects to 500 Days of Summer, just not as upbeat. It was an easy laid back ride to the end. "I think you should think about watermelons when you think about having a cigarette. - That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, you should win an award" -- All the Days Before Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment