Thursday, November 25, 2010

After Sex

So I decided to watch this movie as Netflix touted is as Eric Amadio's witty directorial debut - and it's about sex and modern relationships. I was in the mood for something lighter so I thought, 'why not?'.

The movie is about eight different couples and each scene takes place immediately after having sex. There's casual friends, a newly gay couple, two college female roommates, a highschool couple, a gay rockstar couple, an older hippie couple, two exes, and a couple that just met a club. I thinks that's all of them? The most notable stars are Jane Seymore, Mila Kunis, Zoe Saldana, and Taryn Manning.

So the plot does a nice job of encompassing all different types of couples - obviously. The first scene had some really great witty dialogue and was my favorite couple of the movie. The rest were good as well with believable diaglogue - except the older couple. It's hard to believe that a couple that had been together for 40 years would conveniently reminisce on their past as though they don't talk ever. The rest of the scenes were fine, I guess. I'm not sure all of these conversations happen after sex - where was the couple that just went to sleep after?

The cinematography was nothing special. Each scene was place one after the other until the end of the movie. I would have liked to see something to connect them, or perhaps come back to the first one at the end to have a definitive ending. The ending was a nice wrap up however with 'the gunshot'.

I really liked the first couple/scene the most. Those two actors had great chemistry and their dialogue was the best, plus it was a sweet story. I really thought the older couple were horrible, even thought I loved the mom from her work in The Cake Eaters. Their chemistry was forced, this may have been a product of the trite dialogue, but I personally would've scrapped this scene. Kunis and Saldana were funny and did a good job at being believable.

Overall, it was a cute movie - for the most part. I'd maybe recommend watching the first scene, the Kunis/Saldana scene, and the last scene. The rest were forgettable. The movie was short however, so it was a good timekiller. "Love is like diving into a pond and not knowing if it's going to be shallow or deep." - After Sex

No comments:

Post a Comment