Thursday, December 29, 2011

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

So just the title of this movie made me want to see it. Of course I checked out the trailer since I hadn't heard of this movie before, which reminded me that I'm not that up to date on foreign movies. It looked really quirky and unique, which are two of my favorite things in movies - and people. The movie is from the same guy who directed and wrote Oldboy! This movie is far from that movie.

This is a Korean movie with that guy Rain(?) in it. It's about a young girl who believes she is, yes, a cyborg. She is admitted to a mental hospital where there are other funny/quirky crazy people there. She is befriended by a guy who can steal things from people, i.e. their sympathy, voice, ability to win at ping-pong games, regular stuff like that.

It's not one of those depressing, realistic, coming-of-age mental hospital movies. It's simply a fun 'romantic comedy' without being a romantic comedy. Make sense? Great. The plot was so fresh and unique, for a boring American such as myself. The story was really for those idealistic children at heart. All of the characters were interesting and funny without being obvious.

The editing was fast and fun and kept the movie interesting and heartwarming. The colors and set design was so beautiful and kept the tone of the movie fun and exciting. The imagery was so vibrant and just beautiful. There was also a lot of greens and blues in the movie which were so pretty. All of the angles and lenses were just smooth and great.

The girl, rather cyborg, did a fantastic job. You believed that she believed she was a cyborg. Rain was very entertaining to watch and kept the pacing of the story upbeat.

It was a nice and fun movie. Completely different from the mind-twisting Oldboy. Oldboy was a great movie, don't get me wrong, but this movie is never dark and my mind did not explode from watching this movie. "I'm not a psy-cho, I'm a cy-borg".

No comments:

Post a Comment