Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going The Distance

Tagline: A comedy about meeting half-way.

So I had actually been really excited to see this movie since I first heard about it months ago. Not only did it look to be a quirky romcom, but it also starred the oh-so-loveable Justin Long and his real-life girlfriend none other than Drew Barrymore. The movie opened up in the number 5 spot and has grossed over $14 million to date since it opened ten days ago. The budget was $32 million so its almost halfway there. It has actually earned the spot at the 16th highest grossing Labor Day weekend opener. After seeing the movie, I really hope it makes many millions more as it was just a fantastic piece of work.

The movie is about a couple who randomly meet one day when Drew is working a summer internship in NYC and start what they think will be a short casual romance. Soon, their relationship gets serious and she moves back to California and they take that leap and decide to do the long-distance thing. Friends and family include, Jim Gaffigan, Cristina Applegate, Jason Sudeikas, Ron Livingston, and my favorite Charlie Day.

The plot was simple and universal. It was something almost everyone has experienced or could relate to in some way. The characters were genuine and not super-cliche'. I enjoyed the fact that the rest of the cast were genuinely funny as well and not some over-the-top inserts popped in their to set up one-liners (i.e. Dinner For Schmucks). I found the entire cast very humorous and genuine. Most of the humor came from the dialogue and some situational comedy thrown in there as well. There wasn't gobs of gross-out humor or not that much slapstick as seems to be the recent trend in Hollywood. Overall, this was a well written comedy.

There were some fantastic montages in this movie that I really did enjoy. There was also some great titling effects in the beginning. Also the soundtrack was killer, which is to be expected from this non studio film and especially with Barrymore as the producer. The cinematography and editing just added to the exciting fun experience.

The cast was perfect. I immensely loved Mike Birbiglia's cameo as the waiter (did anyone else catch it?). Long and Barrymore worked so well with each other. They fed each other line after line with ease and were such a cute couple to watch on screen. Jason Sudeikas and Charlie Day were also super hilarious and I enjoyed their banter. Cristina Applegate was her usual self and pretty funny. Jim Gaffigan didn't really add much but didn't take anything away either.

I ended up really enjoying this movie and I think I've recommended to all of my close friends by now. It was genuine, funny, romantic, and just a job well done. I was expecting a good time and that's exactly what it delivered. The only thing that was a negative was watching it as a single girl, you're kind of left saying well 'my life sucks' after watching it. Nothing a little 'Greys Anatomy' can't cure in my case. On the flipside, this would be such a great date movie. So I'd definitely recommend this movie to the single and not single alike who enjoy a genuinely funny movie. I will warn that this is a rated R movie and there is several instances of adult themed humor, nothing extremely too distasteful and all of it highly true and hilarious. There is constant profanity though. "What's your favorite food? -- Tortellini. How do you want to die? -- Eating too much tortellini." -- Going The Distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment