Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Week with Marilyn

So, this is a film that I was quite interested in and would have seen at the cinema (watching too many British films again) had my darn schedule allowed me to do so. Sadly, I had to wait and settle for a redbox rental on this one. I really like Eddie Redmayne and also love Michelle Williams now, thank you Blue Valentine. I also wanted to see Emma Watson do something different. While not an expert on Marilyn Monroe, I have seen my fair share of biopics of her life and I did have my doubts about this movie if there would be anything new to discover. The movie did manage to bring in about $28 million in it's small release of about 630 theaters.

The film is based on the diaries of a young assistant director, Colin Clark, who worked on the film of The Prince and the Showgirl which starred Marilyn Monroe and Sir Laurence Olivier and recounts the infamous animosity between the two stars. Clark also recounts how he spent a rather intimate week with Monroe during the filming.

Now, I wouldn't take too much of the plot as completely factual as there's really no way to fact check this guy's story. But steamy love-affair aside, the movie is really about seeing Monroe as she was, not as the guise she put on in public. Her vulnerability is very well known but the plot was interesting to see it from the perspective of her time on set of one movie and in a different country. I was glad that the plot didn't try to tell her whole story and just stuck to that moment in her life. Clark's character seemed to be a highly romanticized version of himself but hey he did write the memoir.

The wardrobe, sets, and locations were superb. The actors were stunning in their costumes. They even shot the movie at the same studio The Prince and the Showgirl was shot. They basically recreated events from half a century ago in the same spots it took place. That's pretty awesome. The score was in keeping with the tone of the movie, but a little to campy for my taste.

The movie was really about the performances. I can't imagine a role more daunting for an actor than to portray Marilyn Monroe. Williams does a fantastic job. She nails the voice. It doesn't really feel like an impersonation but a performance. She also gives a great subtle metamorphosis between the public and private Monroe instead of a 180 degree turn as I've seen in some other portrayals. Eddie Redmayne comes off as genuine and awesome instead of creepy and an exploiter as could have easily happened with a different casting decision. Dame Judi Dench also did quite fantastic in her small role. She was actually believable as a mediocre actress with not much clout. Emma Watson was extremely lovable in her small role as well. Her character probably had the best head on her shoulders out of the whole film.

The film was quite enjoyable. I think it will be even more enjoyable for those with a limited knowledge of Monroe's biography. It was an interesting take on the overdone Monroe biopic and was extremely beautiful to watch. It was sweet and subtle and Williams pulled it off - which makes a great movie in my book. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but it didn't try for that either. It was a culmination of smart decisions and fantastic acting. "I think directing a movie is the best job ever created, but Mariliyn has cured me from ever wanting to do it again".

No comments:

Post a Comment