Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bridesmaids

So I had wanted to see this so badly the minute I heard the words, 'Kristen Wiig'. Unfortunately, I had to wait this long to see it. By now, I'm sure most have heard that this is now the highest grossing female R-Rated comedy and has made over $247 million to date. I really believe that Kristen Wiig is so underrated by most people but this movie proves what I've sworn to since Garth and Kat on SNL; she's a comedic genius.

I went into the movie thinking I was going to see a female version of the Hangover but surprisingly it wasn't quite that and I was more than happy with the direction the movie ended up going. The movie focused on Kristen Wiig's character and her trials and tribulations throughout the whole maid of honor ordeal with her best friend. There were many instances of Hangover-type group comedy thrown into the mix as well, of course.

There was actually a plot in this movie - only proves that us women actually want a story instead of just non-stop comedy bits. A large part of the humor from the movie was from Wiig's dead-panned wit which I preferred over the outrageous slapstick and gross-out humor in the movie. You couldn't help but relate with Wiig's character, all the while laughing at her predicaments.

The other characters were funny as well without being too over-the-top. Ellie Kempner was great and her innocence was hilarious. Melissa McCarthy was a little too boisterous but had some funny lines in the movie. I thought Rose Bryne was one of the funniest things in Get Him to the Greek and unfortunately in this film she was much more reserved and served better as setting up the other actors for their jokes. She still played the part well and was believable and you couldn't help but hate her. Chris O'Dowd who played Officer Rhodes was super adorable and he actually bantered back and forth with Wiig quite well. Wendi McLendon-Covey, who played the marriage hating/alcohol loving bridesmaid was a necessary character and just added to the mix perfectly.

I must say that the late Jill Clayburgh, who played Wiig's mom, did a fantastic job in this - her last film. There was a total connection between the two characters with similarities where you could see where their combined craziness came from.

I loved the pace of the movie; The editing kept the action coming at a great pace but kept the slower more serious moments completely in balance. My favorite part of the movie was the whole plane to vegas sequence. The movie completely takes you in one direction (Vegas) and then just drops it in a hilarious way. Loved it.

I knew going in I would love this movie, and I did. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be since it actually had a plot and threw in some little sentimental moments. I'm more or less an Apatow fan (i.e. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Funny People, Knocked Up). I prefer the witty comedies with a plot over slapstick grossout stuff - which this movie had more of the former and less of the latter. Kristen Wiig was the backbone of the film, not that she carried the other actors though - they definitely pulled their own weight. If you like Wiig, you'll love the movie. If you dont, well why wouldn't you like her? "It's called civil rights. It's the 90's!"

No comments:

Post a Comment