Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The King's Speech

So I was overly excited to see this movie. History + Colin Firth + Helena Bonham Carter = something awesome. From the trailer alone it's obvious there's going to be some great acting within, and not to mention it was already garnering Oscar buzz. The movie's already grossed almost $80 million, almost surpassing it's $15 million budget sixfold.

The movie is a period piece set around the early part of the last century and follow's England's King George VI's ascension to the throne mirrored by his progress towards overcoming a speech impediment he's had since youth. Firth plays the King and Carter the Queen. Geoffery Rush his speech therapist and Guy Pearce his brother.

I enjoyed how the plot was encompassing of his ascension to the throne and beginning of WWII however it was also focused on his journey to overcome his stammer. The historical facts were not the main focus of the movie, however a backdrop and used to correlate with his progress in his therapy. The characters were well written and unique, instead of being historically idyllic as in many period pieces. It really felt as though we were watching a normal man struggle to overcome adversity, and yeah by the way he also becomes king to a nation in trouble and helps brings a nation together in the face of despair.

The cinematography was done quite nicely. There was some very interesting long wide angle shots and close up wide angle shots, which I found peculiar. I'm not sure it was something I would have utilized however I believe it was so that these characters, and more importantly their flaws, were right up there - full frame - for the audience to see. There wasn't just a sort of mumbling stammer you can hear but not see in long shots of Firth's character, it was a full blown out shot to see every detail. I did like the way those shots were used. The set design was especially spot on. It wasn't cliche'd and grandiose as one would expect from a period piece about the royal family.

The thing that stood out in this movie was obviously the acting. Most often than not, there is an element that drives a movie, and in this case it was the superb acting. Firth deserved that Golden Globe for best actor that he received, and dare I say the Oscar as well. It's never easy to physically take on a role with a speech impediment and not only did he nail it, he gave his character conviction. He was genuine and became a different person on screen. He was King George. Helene Bonham Carter also did a fantastic job, but goodness when has she not? She was exactly what I was expecting and just commands your attention and respect. I found Guy Pearce's portrayal of King Edward VIII very entertaining. Something that I hadn't seen him do before and he did it really great. Geoffery Rush also was excellent in his role. He worked really well with Firth and gave his character realness to him.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with this movie. And I actually got exactly what I was expecting, er hoping, from my preconceived ideas. It is a must for a history lover or a Firth fan. I think it should prove entertaining even for those who run from history since the history part of the movie really sneaks it's way in there so you don't realize it until the end. Best movie of the year? Quite possibly, much better than The Social Network anyways, in my opinion. "Timing isn't my strong suit" -- The King's Speech

No comments:

Post a Comment